Get a Liquor License in Washington


In Washington liquor licenses are overseen by the Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board. However, a liquor license is an endorsement on your Business License that is issued by the Washington State Department of Revenue (DOR) Business Licensing Service. After you submit your liquor license application, the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) will take you through the licensing process and ultimately decide whether to approve or deny your application.

Basic requirements to obtain a liquor license in Washington:

Application process for retail licenses and in-state non-retail licenses:

Use the descriptions in the links below to figure out what type of liquor license you need:

Complete application

Visit and go to the liquor licenses section to fill out the following forms:

  • A Business License Application (pdf)
  • A Liquor and Cannabis Board Addendum
  • An Alcohol Dealer Registration
    • Please mail this form to the U.S. Department of the Treasury Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) at the address on the form.
    • Note: If you are applying for a Spirits Retailer liquor license and intend to sell to on-premises liquor retailers for resale at their licensed premises, or for a Wine Retailer/Reseller Endorsement, you will also need a federal Basic Permit under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act. It must provide for purchasing product for resale at wholesale, and a permit is required for each location where you plan to sell to another retailer. Apply for this permit online with the TTB at It is recommended that you post this permit on your premises with your other licenses.
  • You may need additional local, state and federal licenses for your business that are not covered under the Business License Application. For more information on licensing requirements for your business, contact the Department of Revenue, Business Licensing Service at 1-800-451-7985 or
  • A License Fee Sheet may also be helpful during your application process.

Submit your paperwork and fees

Please make your check or money order payable to: Department of Revenue. Be advised that $75 of the liquor licensing fee is non-refundable in most cases. You have three options for submitting your paperwork and fees:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
P.O. Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034


The various rules and laws relevant to the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) can be found here:

Regulating Agency:

Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board
3000 Pacific Avenue SE
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 664-1600