Get a Liquor License in Indiana


In Indiana liquor licenses are overseen by the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission (ATC). The ATC oversees a variety of permits, including permits and certifications for:

  • Alcohol Servers
  • Alcohol Retailers and Dealers
  • Brewers
  • Beer Wholesalers, Retailers and Dealers
  • Distillers and Rectifiers
  • Liquor Wholesalers, Retailers and Dealers
  • Wineries and Vintners
  • Wine Wholesalers, Retailers and Dealers
  • Clubs, Restaurants and Hotels

The Regulations linked to below provides all of the complete laws and regulations in place in the State of Indiana.

The Indiana State Excise Police (ISEP) is the law enforcement division of the ATC. You can learn more about the ISEP here: link.

To serve alcohol as an employee, a restricted employee or a volunteer of an establishment you need to follow the steps outlined below.

Basic requirements to obtain an employee liquor license in Indiana:

  1. Successfully complete an approved server training course within 120 days (4 months) of employment (not applicable for the 19-20 year old Restricted Permit)
  2. Pay any outstanding or unpaid tax liabilities owed to the Indiana Department of Revenue
  3. For Mail In:
    1. Complete and sign the application found here
    2. Include the appropriate permit fee (see application for details)
    3. Attach all required documentation (see application for details)
    4. Mail the packet to the address listed on the application
  4. For Online:
    1. First Time Application, go here.
    2. Renewal or Reinstatement, go here.


  • 3 year Employee Permit $45
  • Volunteer Employee Permit $15 (for non-profit organizations)
  • 2 year Restricted Employee Permit $30

Note that fees are non-refundable and payment must be money order, business check or certified check. DO NOT SEND CASH OR PERSONAL CHECKS.

The ATC maintains a schedule of fees for the various licensing requirements.  You can find the list in the Frequently Asked Questions document here.

Commercial Permits, Licenses and Certifications:

To obtain a permit, license or certification for a Commercial Business, you will best be served by consulting a qualified liquor licensing attorney.


The complete Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Administrative Code can be found here.

Regulating Agency:

Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission
Indiana Government Center South, Room E-114
302 W. Washington St
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Telephone: (317) 232-2430