In Alabama liquor licenses are overseen by the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board. In order to get a liquor license in Alabama you will need to do a couple of things. First, you will need to contact the Enforcement district office for your county for information on applying for an for an ABC license. You will also need to follow the steps outlined below.
Basic requirements to obtain a liquor license in Alabama:
- Complete and submit this entire information packet (link opens in new window).
- $50.00 Filing fee or Transfer fee per license (Personal/Business Check , Credit Card Only). No fee is required for a tobacco license.
- Provide a copy of the lease or deed.
- Provide a copy of corporation, LLC, LLP or association’s paperwork (if applicable). Corporations formed in Alabama must provide the probated document that includes the Book/Instrument Number, Page, Date & County where incorporated. Out of state corporations must provide the Certificate of Authority to do business in Alabama issued by the Secretary of State.
- Provide the State Sales Tax number to include a copy of the Revenue form (See page 7 of Application).
- Provide a sketch of the premise to include patio area. Sketch is only required when alcohol is consumed on premise. (See page 7 of Application).
- Provide a legible color copy(s) of identification of all individuals. Acceptable identification includes a valid state driver license, valid state ID, passport or military ID.
- Provide a current clear color photograph of all individuals. Applicant/ individual present will be photographed.
- Provide proof of citizenship. A valid permanent resident card or original naturalization certificate is required on all individuals who were not born in the United States. Proof of citizenship is not required if the individual was born in the United States.
- Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and FBI background checks are required on everyone who has an interest whether directly or indirectly in the business. The background paperwork and fingerprint cards can be obtained at the local District office listed on Page 1. The individual/ applicant (s) shall be responsible for any fees required to process and receive their background check.
- Provide a copy of the power of attorney paperwork (if applicable). Individual will be photographed, and ID will be required.
- Provide liquor liability insurance for a minimum of $100,000 coverage for all ABC alcohol locations. (See page 9 for additional requirements).
- If you are transferring the ABC license, the applicant/transferee is required at this time to provide the liquor liability insurance certificate.
- The original ABC license is required for a transfer of license. When the applicant submits this pre-application packet, both applicant and the current ABC license holder must be present to sign the transfer agreement.
- Transfer note for City of Mobile applicants only: If your business holds a current ABC alcohol license and is located within the corporate limits of the City of Mobile, all taxes must be paid before the alcohol license can be transferred to the new applicant.
- Alcohol license fees required (see Fees below). No fee is required for a tobacco license.
- Letter of Approval from the local governing body.
The ABC maintains a schedule of fees for the various licensing requirements. You can find the list here.
The complete Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board Administrative Code can be found here.
Alabama ABC Board
2715 Gunter Park Drive West
Montgomery, AL 36109
Telephone: (334) 271-3840